Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 25737/4
  • surfdog1958
  • (19 posts)

I need a program that will automatically upload and download files at preset intervals and keep a log of which files have been uploaded or downloaded, so it can check the log and *not* upload or download files that have already been uploaded or downloaded in previous sessions.  I've experimented with one-way and two-way folder syncing, but the instructions I would have to give on my web site for installation and avoiding the accidental deletion or duplication of files is too much to ask potential clients to go through.  Do you have any plans to add straight automatic uploading and downloading tasks to DriveHQ FileManager as an alternative to folder synchronization?  I tried a program called Sysax FTP Automation Suite, which runs as a Windows service, but it doesn't work and the support people apparently don't know anything about their own software.  I hope you will consider adding automatic uploading and downloading to DriveHQ FileManager or perhaps create your own FTP automation software.  The technical support here is actually commendable. 

6/2/2008 8:22:13 PM

• surfdog1958
  • (19 posts)
Subject: I forgot to mention that I actually like DriveHQ FileManager
The bottom line is that folder synchronization is just not a very good idea for what I'm trying to do.  Other than that, Drive HQ FileManager is awesome.  I will definitely keep it for my own use.

6/2/2008 8:28:29 PM

• DriveHQ Webmaster
  • (1098 posts)
Subject: Re: I forgot to mention that I actually like DriveHQ FileManager

User: surfdog1958  -  6/2/2008 8:28:29 PM

The bottom line is that folder synchronization is just not a very good idea for what I'm trying to do.  Other than that, Drive HQ FileManager is awesome.  I will definitely keep it for my own use.

I think one-way synchronization works for you. Have you got the latest version 4.0 build 284?

When you sync Folder A to Folder B in one-way, then it will always make B the same as A after synchronization. (i.e. Files in Folder A will always overwrite files in Folder B; and extra files in Folder B will always be deleted if they are not in Folder A)

6/3/2008 5:44:46 AM

• surfdog1958
  • (19 posts)
Subject: Re: Re: I forgot to mention that I actually like DriveHQ FileManager

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  6/3/2008 5:44:46 AM

I think one-way synchronization works for you. Have you got the latest version 4.0 build 284?

When you sync Folder A to Folder B in one-way, then it will always make B the same as A after synchronization. (i.e. Files in Folder A will always overwrite files in Folder B; and extra files in Folder B will always be deleted if they are not in Folder A)

I have 4.0, build 269, but it does offer one-way synchronization. My problem is that transcribed documents in the remote folder (where they will be uploaded after I transcribe the dication files) will constantly be rewritten to the client's local folder unless I manually delete them from the remote server. If the client keeps all their transcribed documents in one folder, that is no problem, but if they move them manually or via an automated process (for printing, sorting, etc.) then the files that were removed will be replaced with the next synchronization, causing a big headache for anyone trying to keep things organized on the other end. Two-way synchronization might be better for this, but if they are *not* very organized and keep all of their documents in the selected local folder, I will have to delete old files when my server space is maxed out, and then the documents I delete will be deleted in their local folder that keeps *all* of their documents, which of course is not good. Having to explain all this on my website is just too much, and I'm afraid that my clients will not want to go through all the screen shots and instructions with warnings about folder synchronization. One-way syncing seems to be the right option for uploading dictation files, since the transcription software I use automatically deletes each dictation file from the remote server as they are loaded into the transcription queue. Even there, however, some doctors might prefer to have voice files we have received for transcription to be deleted from their local folders, since they presumably have backup files and audio files tend to be rather large. Having to explain all the options is mind-boggling, and I'm afraid the office manager or whoever will have to set this up will think its not worth the trouble. There really should be a "transfer once only" option that recognizes that a file has already been transferred in a previous session and is not replaced if someone or some process on the other end moves or deletes it intentionally. The files will generally be named automatically by the dictation device with some nonsensical but unique name and it is unlikely that it would use the same name twice, so having a "transfer once only" option would work well for this. The transcribed documents would be manually named the same as the dictation files (but with a .doc extension), so it would also work well for downloading Word documents. Am I making any sense here? It seems to get more confusing each time I try to consider the pros and cons of folder synchronization for this purpose.

6/3/2008 12:00:28 PM

• DriveHQ Webmaster
  • (1098 posts)
Subject: Re: Re: Re: I forgot to mention that I actually like DriveHQ FileManager

User: surfdog1958  -  6/3/2008 12:00:28 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  6/3/2008 5:44:46 AM

I have 4.0, build 269, but it does offer one-way synchronization. My problem is that transcribed documents in the remote folder (where they will be uploaded after I transcribe the dication files) will constantly be rewritten to the client's local folder unless I manually delete them from the remote server. If the client keeps all their transcribed documents in one folder, that is no problem, but if they move them manually or via an automated process (for printing, sorting, etc.) then the files that were removed will be replaced with the next synchronization, causing a big headache for anyone trying to keep things organized on the other end. Two-way synchronization might be better for this, but if they are *not* very organized and keep all of their documents in the selected local folder, I will have to delete old files when my server space is maxed out, and then the documents I delete will be deleted in their local folder that keeps *all* of their documents, which of course is not good. Having to explain all this on my website is just too much, and I'm afraid that my clients will not want to go through all the screen shots and instructions with warnings about folder synchronization. One-way syncing seems to be the right option for uploading dictation files, since the transcription software I use automatically deletes each dictation file from the remote server as they are loaded into the transcription queue. Even there, however, some doctors might prefer to have voice files we have received for transcription to be deleted from their local folders, since they presumably have backup files and audio files tend to be rather large. Having to explain all the options is mind-boggling, and I'm afraid the office manager or whoever will have to set this up will think its not worth the trouble. There really should be a "transfer once only" option that recognizes that a file has already been transferred in a previous session and is not replaced if someone or some process on the other end moves or deletes it intentionally. The files will generally be named automatically by the dictation device with some nonsensical but unique name and it is unlikely that it would use the same name twice, so having a "transfer once only" option would work well for this. The transcribed documents would be manually named the same as the dictation files (but with a .doc extension), so it would also work well for downloading Word documents. Am I making any sense here? It seems to get more confusing each time I try to consider the pros and cons of folder synchronization for this purpose.

6/3/2008 5:44:26 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003